JEREMY FLORES’ WQS WINNING 5’10”
SHAPED BY: MARK PHIPPS AT EUROGLASS, HOSSEGOR
DIMENSIONS: 5’10” X 17 7/8” X 2 1/8”
JEREMY’S HEIGHT & WEIGHT: 1.74M, 65KG
Surfers like Jeremy Flores who make rapid ascents to the top of the sport don’t do it alone of course. Like a head designer in an F1 team, the shaper must use the feedback of the rider and learn from competitive performances, tweak design to come up with the best possible equipment. Mark Phipps has been shaping for Jeremy since he was 10-years-old, and the result of countless design refinements, hours and hours of feedback, tens of thousands of rudely decimated waves and of course Phippsy’s own knowledge of high-performance surfing (he’s not exactly a slouch in the water himself), is Jeremy’s signature board, the JF model. Phippsy talks us through it:
On the surfer-shaper relationship:
“I’ve been shaping boards for Jeremy for 9 years.
Over the years I would have made Jeremy between 250 to 300 boards. This year I’ll make Jeremy fifty or more.”
“The unique thing about Jeremy is that he is the youngest ever surfer on the WCT so he is actually still growing which means we are constantly monitoring his size and making adjustments. Making the right size board for teenagers as they grow can be a difficult time for the surfer, the shaper and the parents all having different priorities.”
On the JF Model:
• This board was made from a Burford blank and glassed with one 4oz top and bottom plus a 4oz tail patch, sanded finish and fitted with FCS (he usually uses FG5’s). In the future Jeremy will be using Eskimo cores (blanks).
• He rode this board during the European leg of his historic qualifying campaign placing 2nd at Sooruz Lacanau Pro Lacanau, 5th Place Rip Curl Pro Seignosse and 3rd in Buondi Billabong Pro Ericeira.
• Jeremy knows exactly what works for him and how his boards look. The JF Model has low and boxy rails.
• It’s super thin in the nose and tail with a flipped nose rocker and a single concave bottom. Jeremy rides boards that are short and narrow for his weight.
• The teardrop outline is the most striking feature of the JF Model. This design has been part of his boards since we started working, and is present in all of his high performance boards.
• The Jeremy Flores Model is a creation of Jeremy’s incredible surfing ability, style and balance making the board fast and extremely reactive.
The Jeremy Flores Model is available from Quiksilver Boardriders Clubs and selected surf shops. Email: email@example.com