The 2007 Hyundai Pro Longboard Tour got off to a false start over the weekend when surf conditions at Mount Maunganui, New Zealand, resembled little more than a lake for the first of six events on the tour. Organisers pushed for a start at the event even delaying the first heats until the more favourable outgoing tide however what small waves were on offer were too inconsistent and their shape was such that quality surfing would have been impossible.
The cancellation means that only five further events remain on the tour. Surfing New Zealand along with Hyundai are now working on strategies to increase the value of the remaining tour events to make up for lost ground. The next event on the tour is the Hyundai National Championships which commence on the on the 13th of January in Taranaki. The Nationals include men’s, women’s and juniors divisions for the longboarding discipline as well as 18 further divisions.
As well as the premier division, a further four divisions are contested on the longboard tour including the Open Women, Junior Men and Over 40s and 50s.
The event dates for the 2007 Hyundai Pro Longboard Tour are as follows:
- Hyundai Pro Longboard, Mount Maunganui – 6th – 7th January
- Hyundai National Surfing Championships, Taranaki – 13th – 20th January
- Northland Longboard Classic in association with Hyundai, Sandy Bay – 3rd – 4th February
- Hyundai Pro Longboard, Christchurch – 17th – 18th February
- South Island International Longboard Pro-Am in association with Hyundai, Kaikoura – 16th – 18th March
- Hyundai Pro Longboard, Port Waikato – 24th – 25th March