Surf Europe Eighty Seven
Have you had terrific surfing times lately? It’s all been a bit special, hasn’t it? Waves have been mad good near my yard. Anyway enough about you.
It’s very soon a New Year and it promises to do its best. And in return for ever more wonderful, expansive surfing experiences, I New Yearly Resolve to:
- Try to swear less. It’s not clever and they say is a sign of a limited vocabulary (although that’s obviously a load of bollocks coz I’m a magazine editor thank you very much).
- Drink less coffee. Coffee, I really really love you but you make my heart palp and my hand shake and whitening toothpaste can only do so much.
- Not get overly cross in the car. Much less beeping, full count of five horn blasts only as a last resort. Some people apparently just find driving really, really hard, and should be ignored, if not tolerated.
- Must try to fix dings quicker and generally love and cherish my surf stuff just as I did in days of impoverished grommethood.
- Not bunch two bunches of spring onions together at the supermarket thus only paying for one. Onion theft is still theft, and it’s against the law.
- Not give surf reports when I haven’t actually checked it yet.
- Not say I’ve seen films that I haven’t. Started doing it at school and haven’t been able to totally shake it yet. Weird.
- Buy wax every now and again. I haven’t bought any since Euro 2008 and certainly have been using it. In these hard times, we all have to pitch in. (And thus be able to...)
- Change my wax every now and again (more than never). It took a human hours to make the board beautiful, surely a few minutes wax comb regeneration is not too much to ask.
- Not look around with massive smugness on flights when I get my delicious lacto-ovo vegetarian meal in advance of all the chicken or fish crew to my left and right, trying to instil that hungry panic when they think they’ve missed the pass of the trolley.
- Try to remember the person’s name when they introduce themselves. Have acute trouble with this, I only remember mine.
- Remember that they can see your eyes even with sunnies on, and it’s just creepy.
- Update the website.
- Surf more than last year, which, if I’m honest, was a lot. Seriously, like, loads. Hey, someone’s got to, it might as well be me. Well, and you, of course. It might as well be us.