Its official! Due to the union of the APT with the North Shore Tow-In this 06/07 Hawaiian winter surf season, great things are happening locally and globally in the world of competitive Tow-In Surfing. A world tour tow-in surfing circuit has emerged with the advent of the “Association of Professional TowSurfers” (APT) and Tow-In Surfers LLC is happy to announce that this year’s North Shore Tow-In is slated as one of the 1st stops on this new APT World Tour!
Tow-In Surfers LLC Co-Founder and North Shore Tow-In Executive Director Alec “Ace” Cooke is very proud to announce the beginning of the 06/07 North Shore Event’s holding period. This year’s event will take place “One Day Only” on the biggest and best day of surf between December 15, 2006 and March 31, 2007. The big wave tow-in Surf contest is set to take place on one of the two main big wave outer reef spots over a mile outside of Haleiwa Harbor known as Outside Avalanche and Outside Puaena Point.
The event is sanctioned by the APT and carries a prize purse of $25,000. The top winning tow-in teams will receive the lion’s share of the loot and both of the tow-in team partners will get matching trophies. Garrett McNamara and Kealii Mamala are last year’s event defending champions, stoked as they return to Hawaiian Surf fresh from winning the recent Nelscott Reef Tow-In Classic in Oregon on December 8, 2006!
This year’s Main Invite List and Alternate List reads like a who’s who of tow-in surfing! With Ikaika Kalama and Makua Rothman meeting fellow Buttons Hawaii team riders Garrett and Kealii in the pit, anything could happen. Local Hawaiian Teams from Oahu, Maui, Big Island and Kauai will take on world contenders from California, Mexico, Chile, Brazil, South Africa, Europe, Great Britain and elsewhere!
All competitors of the North Shore Tow-In Event will be battling for limited slots to compete in the Mexico and Chile events scheduled for 2007. Those competitors that do not make it in the top winning bracket will end up competing in an Open World Qualifying event set to take place at Pier 1 on Maui, HI in early 2007. For more information log onto to www.Protowsurfers.org
North Shore Main Invite List: (20 Teams)
- Garrett McNamara / Kealii Mamala / HI
- Dustin Barca / Sion Milosky / HI
- John Gangini / Yuri Soledade / HI
- Jamie Sterling / Mark Healey / HI
- Dan Moore / Mark Anderson / HI
- Makua Rothman / Ikaika Kalama / HI
- Archie Kalepa / Buzzy Kerbox / HI
- Titus Kinimaka / Kalani Vierra / HI
- Carlos Burle / Eraldo Gueiros / BRZ
- Everaldo ‘Pato’ Texeira / Sylvio Mancusi / BRZ
- Shawn ‘Barney’ Barron / Darryl ‘Flea’ Virostko / CA
- Brad Gerlach / Mike Parsons / CA
- Shane Desmond / Tyler Fox / CA
- Zach Wormhoudt / Chris Bertish / CA/BRT
- Peter Mel / Anthony Tashnick / CA
- Chuck Patterson / Scott Chandler / CA
- Danilo Couto / Rodrigo Resende / BRZ
- Grant ‘Twiggy’ Baker / James Sampson / SA
- Ramon Navarro / Danny Fry / CHl
- Carlos ‘Coco’ Nogales / Don Curry / MEX/ CA
The “3rd Annual BANK OF HAWAII North Shore Tow-In” will immediately catch the eye of the international print, web and network TV media as the Big Day rolls in. Meteorologists and “El Nino” watchers world-wide are calling for several XXL sized swells in Hawaii this year. The ever unpredictable Pacific Ocean continues to toss up storms and surf in epic proportions as always in the Hawaiian Winter Surf Season. Keep your eyes on presenting sponsor www.TowSurfer.Com and it’s website for full reports from the frontlines.
More info visit: www.haleiwa-tow-in.com