Jake Kent’s Mixtape
SIDE A / / Chargin’ the batteries of the soul
1. The Libertines - ‘Can’t Stand Me Now’
Shame they couldn’t keep it together - a verbal last scrap before they split - come on boys sort it out and make another album!
2. Firehose - ‘Brave Captain’
Legendary tune from an old skate movie - makes me want to wallride Buckingham Palace.
3. Public Enemy - ‘911 Is a Joke’
Makes me want to breakdance on an ambulance.
4. Kings of Leon - ‘Spiral Staircase’
Paint your body red and brown… and slide down a staircase
5. J5 - ‘Swing Set’
Makes me want to play the triangle.
6. Jazz Crusaders - ‘Stomp and Buck Dance’
Go on a crusade of great jazziness and win the battle of funk!
SIDE B // And in the fridge
7. Yovee - ‘City Strollin’
A nice tune by a nice band.
8. Seth Lakeman - ‘White Hare’
Check out his album Freedom Fields, especially relevant if you’re from the South West.
9. Israel Vibration - ‘Ball of Fire’
Gotta have a bit of dub in there somewhere.
10. Fink - ‘All Cried Out’
A killer cover of an old Alison Moyet tune that my mum played to death when I was a tacker.
11. Eric Mongain – ‘Air Tap’
(look on youtube.com) – he plays the guitar like a piano and bongos... I’d like to do that!
12. Nina Simone - ‘Here Comes The Sun’
So nice, I’ll have it at my funeral.