20 Questions With Adrian "Ace" Buchan
"What piece of advice would you give your 15-year-old self? Learn how to do airs, lots of them and big ones!"
Adrian "Ace" Buchan is a 30 year old from Avoca with probably the sharpest backhand and cranium combination on the ASP World Tour. A World Tour winner (he beat Kelly Slater in the final of the Quik Pro in France in 2008), Ace took some time out from a surf trip in Sumbawa to answer 20 questions.
1) What is your greatest fear?
Probably losing the ones I love. I can’t imagine life without my wife Beck or my family. That and missing pumping waves at home because of a family bbq or lunch... hang on there’s a paradox!
2) What was your most embarrassing moment?
Gee... nothing huge springs to mind but I've been watching "The Voice" lately and I feel embarrassed for the singers when no one turns around but I also really admire that they have put themselves out there and aren't afraid to fail. Thats a quality I really like in people.
3) Property aside, what’s the most expensive thing you’ve ever bought?
A rock... if you're married you know what I'm talking about! haha
4) What makes you unhappy?
It makes me unhappy that if a bomb goes off in Sydney, London or New York its a way bigger tragedy than if a bomb goes off in Israel, Iraq or Africa. I understand the shock of something happening outside a warzone but can we really desensitize ourselves from the loss of life no matter where it happens.
5) What’s the worst thing anyone has ever said to you?
People are mostly pretty friendly to me.
6) Who would play you in the film of your life?
7) Who are your celebrity parents?
I have absolutely no idea....maybe, ah, I don't know (we reckon it might be Justin Bieber and Carey Mulligan)
8) What do you most dislike about your appearance?
My big toe that I kicked a rock with about 10 years ago... it’s never been the same.
9) To who would you most like to say sorry to and why?
To my wife for always leaving her to go away... I hate those goodbyes.
10) Which living person do you most despise and why?
Probably anyone that preys on the poor and weak.
11) Who are your heroes?
My parents. They've given me life and that’s the best gift of all.
12) If you could go back in time where would you go?
I've always been fascinated by the medieval era, so I'd love to go back then....maybe as Robin Hood.
14) When was the last time you had sex? How’d it go?
It’s been a while I'm on a surf trip with 6 guys... lets just say I'm looking forward to getting home!
15) Tell us a joke.
Why did the ant fall off the toilet? Because he was pissed off.
16) Tell us a secret.
No then it wouldn't be a secret!
17) What song would you like played at your funeral.
Follow the Sun, Xavier Rudd
18) Who is the worst person to surf a heat against?
Glenn Hall. He knows me too well, but we have great battles so he's also the best.
19) What piece of advice would you give your 15-year-old self?
Learn how to do airs, lots of them and big ones!
20) Complete the sentence. If I ruled the world...
I would ask David Attenborough to help me with putting in place a system to restore the environment. If we keep treating it the way we are there will be no world left to rule.[mpora_video id='AAdaikbgy37c']